Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thoughts on 3D

I had a hard time thinking of stuff to do for this project because I am not sure how 3D as an effective method of conveying information functions at the moment. All I know it does is have things popping out of the screen like the broom sticks in Happy Potter flying towards the screen, throwing a ball at the camera as Torrance did or even making a 3D porno movie (that came out right? Hmm, this has multiple entendres...) or maybe could serve to add depth to the scene by having things converge or placed in a way that adds more space between things. Other than that, I really do not have a grasp of what 3D can actually do. So, Max and I went out to the eucalyptus grove near Hopkins to see what we could come up with with nature, mirrors, and 3D. We initially tried to angle the mirrors in a way that made the reflection look crazy when 3D is added such as an image of a body of water that was taken in the Tokyo photos we saw in class. Our attempts at making the reflections interesting we're pretty much a bust as we couldn't really do anything other than show the sky and that won't make for a great video so going back to what I do know about 3D, I began poking (not actually poking, but getting close to it) the lens with the stick and in effect scaring Max when he saw how much the stick popped out of the little screen on the Handicam. Following the theme we had of rhythm, pattern, and repetition, we remembered a scene from Monte Python and the Holy Grail in which a character is watching from afar a character charging toward him. This takes a long time before he gets in close enough to kill him, so it keeps cutting back and fourth from reaction shots to landscape charging shots until the timing is perfect where he gets killed. We tried to emulate the scene as it fit the theme well, but if the laptops were better it would've been a little more spruced up.

No comments:

Post a Comment